Houses are purchased on the open market in West Michigan, principally in the Grand Rapids area. A general contractor is hired to manage the project, retain all necessary subcontractors and hire those individuals looking for work. Upon completion of the renovation work, the houses are sold on the open market with 100% of the profits donated to Turning Point Missions for our outreach work. This provides TPM with a sustainable method to fund a portion of our outreach goals.
The typical renovations completed include: new kitchen/bath cabinetry and counter-tops, new floor coverings, interior painting, and exterior work which could include new siding or painting plus landscaping. Unemployed and/or under-employed individuals are hired to assist us with this work. They earn some much needed money while learning skills they can use to maintain or improve their own home/apartment. We have daily devotions at the houses to expose our workers to God’s love for them and His desire to bring them into the family of believers.
What We Have Accomplished
- Purchased, renovated and sold 10 houses providing updated affordable housing for families.
- Have employed more than 15 individuals needing work.
- Of those individuals 10 found full time employment in their chosen field while working with us.
- Have hired a number of high school and college students to help with renovation work during the summer months.
- Have fully funded mission trips to the Dominican Republic working with Worldwide Christian Schools, and to Haiti working together with Cross Pointe Church in Madison, Alabama and with a Haitian non-profit.
- Currently working with Living Hope Missions, a Haitian non-profit organization, to provide water filter systems for 15 churches/schools and adjacent villages. Three systems were constructed during our March 2017 trip to Haiti. This was our first trip with outside funding, which enabled us to complete more than one village system.